When your schedule is jam packed your dishwasher can be a life saver. However, dishwashers also consume a lot of energy in terms of electricity and water which can increase your utility bill. Luckily, there are some easy changes you can make to save a lot of energy (and money) every time you run your dishwasher:
- If your dishwasher has an air-dry option, use that instead of a heated dry, or when the wash is complete, open the dishwasher door and let the dishes air dry on their own.
- Use a drying agent to dry dishes faster, therefore, using less energy.
- Only run your dishwasher when it’s completely full.
- If possible, rinse your dishes less before putting them in the dishwasher. This will help save water.
- In the heat of the summer, run your dishwasher at night, so it doesn’t shoot up the temperature in your home.