Makes 24 bars
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Confectioners’ sugar, to dust over top
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F. Use the cooking spray to grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the pan with two pieces of parchment paper, leaving an overhang on each side of the pan. Spray the paper with the spray.
- Using a food processor or pastry cutter, mix together the flour, cold butter, white sugar, and salt. Process the mixture until it resembles small crumbs. Press the crust firmly into the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for about 30 minutes until it is pale and yellow. Do not cool.
- While the crust is in the oven, whisk the eggs, yolk, white sugar, lemon juice and zest, cream, and salt.
- When the crust is still hot, pour the filling over top. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the filling is just set. Set on the counter to cool completely and then refrigerate until cold for at least 2 hours.
- When the cake is cold, use the parchment paper to lift it out of the pan. Cut into 24 pieces and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Dust with the confectioner’s sugar just before serving.
Recipe adapted from Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez | RealSimple.com