Recipe from Good Housekeeping. Image from Kate Bennis on Pinterest.
- Yields: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3 lb. collard greens
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- Discard tough stems from collard greens.
- Coarsely chop and then rinse greens.
- In 8-quart sauce pot, add bacon and onion.
- Cook over medium heat until onion is tender and bacon is browned, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium-high and gradually add collard greens to pot. Stir until wilted.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Uncover and cook, stirring, until most of liquid evaporates.
- Stir in vinegar, salt, and coarsely ground black pepper.